Monday, December 16, 2013

Why Google Glass is Fragile....

As one of the initial Glass Explorers that received their Glass early in the year (the second batch). I have just experienced something that worries me about the Glass investment. With the cost to be in the Explorer program was significant enough to have myself concerned about the longevity of Glass.

As a everyday user with everyday wear and tear, somewhat of a power user but nothing extreme, I have experienced my first issue with Glass.

The connection piece between the bone speaker and the arm (where the piece goes from skinny to wide) started to crack, very unnoticable everyday, until last week.

As a student of Materials, as an Civil Engineering student (well I graduate a while ago) there was a section regarding shear failure. As the metal piece continues after the touchpad and before the speaker, the weight of the speaker started to crack the top portion of the plastic which tells me that the flexing of the material is putting stress on the metal arm and causing a failure of the piece and cracking the plastic.

Looking at this, I don't know how this could be prevented, my educated guess is a thicker section. While I am conscious about how I am using Glass on a daily basis, charging the unit and putting it on the top of my hear when I talk to people is my normal use. I am surprised that not more people are running into this issue.

With Google giving people a device refresh, this saved me from a failing unit however this doesn't solve the bigger problem. Eventhough Glass is amazing and the technology in it is evolving by the month this is an issue that will urk me and a lot of users and future users.

Our phones, whether Apple or Andriod last quite a long time seeing we use the device almost every 10 minutes of the day. If the materials on Glass starts to fail after 8 months, I can't see me buying a new pair of Glass every 10 to 12 months. I guess this is why were an explorer in the first place, not only explore the uses of Glass and how it fits into society, but exploring how it will explore the strength of the materials.

I hope you find this article useful!!

thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment