Saturday, April 2, 2016

Project Fi - My Impressions and why you should try it

I don't know how many time I try and relaunch the blog and something comes up, but this is a life lesson that things are going to happen, motivation comes and goes and their is never a perfect time to do anything so you got to keep grinding it out. When its a passion it doesn't feel like work until it becomes like work and then we don't like to do it unless we get some incentive or whatnot.... So enough with the rambling.

I am here to talk about Google's new service called Project Fi and why you should care about it. If you have followed the Blog then you know my stance on technology and that I am a little ahead of the curve even though it seems like I am Apple bashing but time told us Apple just wasn't the same company as the one we romanticized about a short while ago.

Anyhow, Google released or is now in the Cellular phone game competing with the giants of AT&T, and Verizon, while not battling Sprint or T-Mobile because those are partners rather than rivals.

So the big questions is why should I care? and to a lot of people it won't but for some it will. Is this a revolutionary phone service? No, kinda No, is this something we have never seen before, No... all of what Google offers is what has been available to us for some time now with services such as Freedom Pop and Republic Wireless, which I am a current customer of.

So lets get down to it! Google's Project Fi is a Wifi-Cellular phone that mainly uses Wifi in your house to operate data and phone service. If you use your phone it will make the call over Wifi before it connects to a Sprint or T-Mobile network. the plan's basics is $20 dollars a month for unlimited talk and text, so who cares right... and it charges you only for the data you use at a rate of $10 per Gig.

So this is why you should care. As of right now you can take advantage of being an early Project Fi supporter and you will get $150 off a Nexus 5 phone, which is a flag ship device that will run you $150 plus taxes. So in an age where you are paying a premium for your devices at $20+/month, this is a savings. In an era where we pay data access fees for our smartphones these fees will add up to a rate of about $100/ month for a phone... I know I will get back lash over comments of how people are going to post that they get some crazy discount or something, this isn't for you and keep your phone service. But for the rest of the population who think their current bill is to high and want to cut something, this is something to consider

Now one main reason that I am backing Googles Project Fi, is that I was a Glass Explorer and the process and experience was great, So I have experienced other Google products and I have had nothing but great experiences so I don't think this would be any different.

Here is my input on this whole topic. I switched from AT&T to Republic because I wanted to cut down on the data usage and also my Phone bill of about $200 per month with both line unlimited data. I switch to a plan that was $13/month at republic and been pocketing around $50/month on my phone bill which I use on other things other than AT&T, not that AT&T is bad, I just dont think updating snapchat and facebook is worth the data and fees. The things about Republic that I do like is the control to get data and to turn off data at a prorated fee, they were first with the data rebate per month for the unused data so I am completely happy with the service. However because I have a Moto G and now it does the job, a Moto X is more what I want, the out of pocket fees was around $300 bucks, which kinda hurts and cuts into my savings per month. With Project Fi I am getting a flagahip premium device at a discounted cost and a very similar service, I am a customer who elected to has service without data however I am pretty sure the majority of people use at least a 1 GB of data.

So as an early adopter, I don't know what the service is like but I anticipate great things!

Here is the link to project fi
https://fi.google.com/signup






No comments:

Post a Comment